Sunday, July 5, 2009

Hello!

Apparently, I am not very good with this website yet. I can't figure out how to post pictures and type in the same thing so I'll just start another one!

The first few days were so hard for me here in Africa. All I could think about was how much I missed the people at home. Our dorms were not like what I was expecting at all! I'll try and post pictures later when I take some but for now the best way I can describe it is... bunk beds. fake wood floors. no closets. and cockroaches. Yeah. It's pretty interesting and reminds me a lot of Cincinnatti. :)

A few nights ago my roommates and I were talking about how this trip is going to be a lot more challenging than what we planned. We decided to pray together which was really cool. When I woke up the next day a verse from the Bible popped into my head right away. I can't remember what it is (how sad is that) but I wrote it down but that was such a good reminder that I am not alone here. God is with me!

The people in our DTS group are awesome! I am so thankful for all of the girls here. People always told me that they people in your DTS will be your friends forever and I now know exactly what they are talking about. It was great to be able to travel down here with the other 2 girls from Grand Rapids and we ended up being roommates as well so that is awesome. Our last roommate came yesterday from Nigeria. It has been a lot of fun getting to know all of the people here from all around the world. It's pretty cool.

This morning we woke up and went to church. It was a really good service. There was a group visiting from Georgia so the sermon was in English! It was so great to have a whole hour of just being able to listen to somebody and not having to try to figure out what they are talking about.


Tonight is our orientation or "opening night" so hopefully we will be able to figure out a little more about what is going on here. We have had no idea what is going on since we got here so hopefully we will get a little more information tonight.

I figured out my address!!

Katie Vriesman
YWAM
PO Box 811
Jeffrey's Bay 6330
South Africa

Have a good day!!

3 comments:

  1. So glad you have a group of girls you can share with! We'll keep praying that you adjust to everything different. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking about you a ton this week. I remember my 1st week at DTS and everyday wondered what I had gotten myself into. You WILL adjust, things WILL go smoother. It will take time and patience to learn to live closely with others, but through God's grace....you will make it through! Sending lots of love your way....Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, That wasn't John commenting above that was me, Tammy. I'm not very good at this either!

    ReplyDelete